There were a lot of crappy jokes this year for April Fools Day.
One of the worst was run on Gizmodo. Seriously, I'm all for complicated jokes but pretending you're infected with a new virus and making every post seem like a spam message from hell gets really fucking annoying after the third post. It went on way too long, guys.
Some people, however, came up with jokes that didn't suck. Here's my list of April Fools Day pranks that were actually pretty cool:
- Portal's Companion Cube in God of War on the PSP – Probably one of my favourite jokes. Genius. Freakin' genius.
- The Guardian newspaper makes the move to Twitter – Possibly the best April Fools Day joke in a long time. It's not worth me describing but it is worth you visiting. Then laughing… a lot.
- Blizzard's Diablo III character, The Archivist – If you're a gamer, the sheer concept of this will make you collapse in a heap laughing your ass off. You have to appreciate Blizzard for all the work they do even going so far as to give some videos showing this character in action.
- YouTube's new viewing experience – You have to give YouTube credit for stating the bleeding obvious and managing to make a successful joke while doing so.
- Your Wii Fit Balance Board has decided not to work – Not so much an April Fools Day prank but rather an Easter Egg the developers of Wii Fit left in, this little screenshot shows how Nintendo let its title get in on the action of the day.
- Expedia offer $99 flights to Mars – Very cool. "Save over 3 trillion dollars!" NASA need to book through Expedia, seriously. When click on "Earth," the advertising touch telling you you'll get planet-wide savings on Expedia is nice.
- Opera face gesture control – This is one of those that's truly been made for the geeks. I like gesture control and it's not the first time I've seen it done, but this way of browsing the web would probably create laughter as opposed to a useful browsing experiene.
- Someone releases a game that's not out till July… and people line up for it – Kotaku are right. This was mean. Really mean… poor bastards. But still… it is hilarious.
- Guitar Hero… with yodeling – Never ever let me say that some of the people at Microsoft are geniuses.
- Google's Auto-Pilot email response system – Creative… but I'm feeling there's a loss of impact here.
- Google's 3D Web Browsing – Okay. That's excellent, Google. More like that.
- Twitter to start making money – As good of a joke as this is, you can sort of expect this to become fuel for more irritating chain letters.
- New dollar sign symbol reflects world economy – Creative and logical. Let's start using it!
- USB Pet Rock – Classic.
- Portal Shirts – Like the USB Pet Rock above, ThinkGeek come up with something genius. Me, I just want to know how they did GlaDOS so well…
See. Some excellent jokes this year. There was also one that wasn't an April Fools Day joke but yet rated highly as one that could've been one: Google Classic.