Simplsaver is a budget app designed to help people make sense of their money in a totally private way.
As the cost of living crisis in 2022 was beginning to make an even bigger dent on savings, I tried every budget app I could and found they either provided little to no information about what my budget was doing, or asked for a severe cost to operate that I couldn’t justify.
Most budget apps were just glorified bank statement rehash systems where I was passing over the data to third parties for marketing purposes. As usual, the cost of something being “free” was that I needed to give it away.
So I decided to build my own.
I’d been looking for a project to learn iPhone coding (Swift) for some time, and this tuned out to be the perfect one.
Since its creation, I’ve not only managed to get my finances in order, but I’ve built it for everyone to use, and it comes with some neat additions that makes it different from the crowd, including:
- Built-in service costs for music, video, fitness, and gaming services
- Supports budgets for couples
- Works out how much money you have at the end of each month
- Helps identify risk to cost increases using our Risk of Recession CPI score
- Can add one-off costs making it an expense tracker
- Looks good in day and night
- Always stores the data only on your device
It also donates a portion of its proceeds to charity. The app is designed to help, so I want it to help beyond just the one user.